The small council is a group of advisors who advise the King on the Iron Throne on matters of policy. Each member has their own area of expertise. Aegon I Targaryen relied on councillors after being crowned, but it was not until the reign of King Jaehaerys I Targaryen that the small council was formalized.
The council members are appointed and dismissed by the king as he wills; a right freely used during times of war and strife. Traditionally, the council consists of seven permanent members; after the Andal traditions and the Faith of the Seven. They are the following:
- Hand of the King
- Lord Commander of the Kingsguard
- Master of Coin - head of the treasury and finances of the kingdom.
- Master of Laws - oversees law and justice of the kingdom.
- Master of Whisperers - the spymaster, and head of intelligence.
- Master of Ships - oversees the navy.
- Grand Maester - head advisor on matters of lore and wisdom.
However, it is not unusual for the council to include additional members as advisors.
|The small council|
|Under Baelon I Blackfyre||Current||
|Former small councils|
|Under Maegor I Blackfyre|
|Under Aegon I Blackfyre|